Thursday, April 3, 2008

Free Publicity

Last night I sent a quick Hello and FYI to ArcadeHeroes.com and got a surprise tonight, finding out I got a link on their homepage.

Nice to be recognized!

So at this point, I can surmise I have had at least 4 readers, based on responses both here and privately by e-mail.

Might be wishful thinking, but I'd like to think that word might get around and I become part of the coin-op evolution. (As opposed to the coin-op devaluation around us.)

I also am about to get some free local newspaper coverage. Came out of nowhere I suppose. I got some pics taken yesterday, and my interview today got postponed, but apparently I am going to get some sort of story in a couple weeks. In the Sunday edition, which I think should add value to it.

I do hope that the information comes out OK, as my experience with newspapers has ranged from odd spin to downright erroneous quotes. I hope to get a chance to play up my substantial Bemani collection and the upcoming LaserTag addition, while also working to encourage more weekday business.

The fact that the interview has been postponed might very well work out in my favor, giving me more time to plan and a better chance to steer it in my favor.

Personally I have been in a little bit of a funk this week, having trouble getting a rhythm going to accomplish anything significant. But I did manage a little bit.

We just purchased a new laptop, mainly for accounting use. (My Powerbook and VirtualPC finally got too obsolete, and I need a newer version of (PC)QuickBooks for working with my accountant.) I found another good use for it last night....
I just installed Unreal Tournament on it!

Ah, but before you wonder why it matters that I put an admitedly old computer game on my new PC, hear me out.

I used the Unreal (map) Editor to design and lay out my expansion. (Laser Tag arena and new Ladies' Room.) Works well, and you can easily do a walk through of a new space design before you ever start construction/remodeling. In fact, I can let the 'bots loose in the virtual arena and check for gameplay issues. Looks cool too, I even managed to texture map the floor to perfectly match my blacklight carpet in the arcade.

I was expecting problems with 'Vista, but it works great. (Messed with it maybe an hour tonight.) The timing is great too, since last night one of my former employees and I were discussing some trimout options. Actually that is exactly why I dug up the software and transferred it all today.

I sure have some lofty ideas around the Laser Tag arena. Gotta set the bar high I think. I'll tell you this though, if I manage half of what I see in my head, it'll be knocking some socks off and I could even end up with some design or consulting work in the future. Here's hoping!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should upload pics of your mockup.

Eric Weigand said...

I'll probably get around to that a little later.

If I do, I think I will post some before/after/concept series.

-eric